Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Badlands National Park



On July 25th, Gabe and I drove to The Badlands National Park in South Dakota. We had previously driven past the park before but never stopped. We were very glad we stopped and visited this time.

We arrived early in the AM when it was still cool to hike. The Badlands have a unique beauty that is different from anywhere we have been before. We went on a 4 mile round trip dayhike into the parks backcountry. I was amazed at how fresh the air was. I expected stifling heat and humidity. Perhaps we just picked the right day and time because though hot, it was not humid. We took our camelbaks and a survival kit and made good time on the trip. I worked with Gabe on compass directions and dead reckoning. We watched our hand and foot placement near any shaded cracks or blind corners. We did not want to grab or step on a rattlesnake by accident.

I was amazed at how many parents took their small children on some of the back country trails with only a bottle of water for 4 people. I admit to being someone who carries more than I need to, but this would be the wrong place to get heat exhaustion or heat stroke.

Pictured on the left is Gabe and Gabe and I on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment